Grant joined BDO as a Risk & Advisory Director in January 2020. Prior to joining BDO, he led an internal audit practice for a large professional services firm. He has over 20 years’ experience as an internal auditor, compliance specialist and risk & governance consultant.
SERVICES & SPECIALISM
Grant has experience across a range of programmes in financial services; serving all three lines of defence. Examples include:
- Internal audit of governance around compliance with key WAM regulation
- Quality assurance of monitoring activity performed by a pillar bank’s compliance function
- Preparing for JST inspections including Operational Risk, Outsourcing
- Reviewing and benchmarking the internal audit functions within banks
- Performing an in depth mortgage review of Irish retail banks against the Regulatory Framework
- Developing, implementing and overseeing the testing of the risk and control framework in a multinational technology firm
Grant has directed internal audit programmes across a variety of clients in banking, insurance and wealth sectors – this includes financial internal audits, operational, compliance and IT. He has also managed internal controls reviews, including S404 compliance, internal control remediation and implementation of control framework programmes in the UK, Ireland and South Africa. Grant has set-up and managed a large multi-geography compliance programme with a central team in Dublin managing virtual teams throughout EMEA. In addition, he has facilitated risk management workshops for a variety of Ireland-based clients and performed corporate governance reviews of state and semi-state bodies.
Grant holds an Associate’s Degree in Compliance from the Institute of Banking, an Associate’s Degree in Audit Management and Consultancy from Birmingham City University and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Institute of Internal Auditors. He also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce from the University of Natal.