Welcome to the January 2022 issue of BDO’s Indirect Tax News. We start off the year with a robust line-up of developments and insights from around the globe.
The two feature articles spotlight the EU: one article looks at a tumultuous period in EU-U.S. trading relations and the way forward and the second feature examines the agreement in the EU to update and modernise the reduced VAT rates rules.
Courts have been active, with the CJEU confirming in a Hungarian case that VAT is levied only on consideration actually received. India’s Supreme Court has issued a decision that prevents a taxpayer from requesting a sizeable GST refund despite the fact that the taxpayer’s defence to incorrect filing was due to glitches in the Indian GST portal.
Changes have been made to the VAT rates in the Bahamas, Bahrain, Indonesia and Laos. Ecuador’s president has been granted authority to reduce the VAT rate for persons providing specific tourism services and, in the UAE, guidance is provided on the VAT treatment of mobile phones and airtime packages. Finally, Sri Lanka’s tax authorities have clarified the targeted VAT exemptions for information technology and certain services.
- THE EUROPEAN UNION:
- ARGENTINA: Federal online gambling tax levied as indirect tax on betting
- ARMENIA: Nonresident providers of electronic services subject to VAT
- AUSTRIA: Tour Operators Margin Scheme extended to B2B supplies
- ECUADOR: President granted authority to reduce the VAT rate for the tourism sector
- INDONESIA: VAT rate increase and other changes to VAT rules
- ITALY: Tax authorities issue ruling on right to deduct VAT due on imports
- JAPAN: Update on new JCT invoicing system and commencement of registration procedure
- THE NETHERLANDS:
- NIGERIA: Guidance issued on simplified VAT compliance regime for nonresident suppliers
- SINGAPORE: GST to be levied on imported low-value goods
- SRI LANKA: VAT concessions granted for IT and enabled services
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: FTA issues guidance on input tax relating to mobile phones
Content adapted from BDO Global.
Subscribe to receive the latest BDO News and Insights
Please fill out the following form to access the download.