Do you move goods across Ireland, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom? If so, then you need to be prepared. Customs will affect you and your business model. Be proactive and get ready.
Most companies who are facing importing to and exporting from the UK have limited knowledge of customs procedures. Throughout the last 25 years they have operated within the Single Market and without the requirement to understand how to complete customs forms.
Along with this, in order to move goods with the minimum customs requirements possible, companies are going to have to look to get approved as Authorised Economic Operators (AEOs), or Trusted Traders as this is often referred to.
The average time to prepare an application for AEOs status takes six months. It is also a complicated process involving an in-depth knowledge of customs procedures. It then takes between 6 and 12 months to obtain approval from Revenue in Ireland or HMRC in the UK, depending on where you need to apply.
Download the BDO Brexit Checklist
One of the recently introduced conditions for AEOs status is that the applicant, or the person in charge of their customs affairs, must have customs knowledge and training.
- They must have 3 years’ experience as a guide or
- They must have professional qualifications and must have undertaken training and passed an examination, consistent with the extent of their involvement in customs activities.
BDO Brexit Taskforce now run a training course that will prepare you and your business.
Topics covered include:
- Understanding customs and its impact on your supply chain
- Customs debt – classification, valuation and origin
- How to prepare for Trusted Trade Status
- Customs Special Procedures eg IPR and Customs Warehousing
The training is in small groups and tailored to your business’s operations. We do this by asking the attendees to complete a questionnaire on the particulars of their business so that the training may then be structured it.
If you would like to register your interest to attend customs training, please contact us at [email protected].