Sanitary & Phytosanitary
If you are involved in the Food and Agri Business Sector, and you import/export food products outside of the EU (including the UK), it is imperative that you understand the requirements for importing/exporting food and the Sanitary & Phytosanitary (SPS) requirements to avoid unnecessary delays at the ports.
This has become particularly important since 1 January 2021, as these rules now apply to GB imports. In addition, you will need to be aware of further GB import controls due to be enforced from 1 January 2022. These requirements are in addition to current customs formalities; but are very much inter-linked.
What are the food import/export requirements?
The EU has very strict controls on the import of animals and agri-related products. The nature of the requirements will, however, depend on the type of food being imported/exported. Certain foods are deemed to present a higher risk and will require more stringent controls. These controls can consist of a documentary check, an identity or a physical check or any combination of these checks.
Some exports will also require an export health certificate or a phytosanitary certificate.
We are also advising exporters to review the key issues which caused delays on imports to the EU in 2021 post Brexit. Understanding these issues will ensure that you are prepared for exporting to GB in 2022. Click here to learn more.
How can BDO help?
BDO have a dedicated team of Food, Drink & Agri-business specialists who are available to assist you with the following:
- Understanding your product and determining the import/export requirements.
- Assist you in completing the necessary registration requirements with the Competent Authorities.
- Ensuring you have obtained the necessary system information technology access to meet the import/export requirements.
- Provide training on the completion of a Common Health Entry Document, Private Attestation, and the necessary pre-notification requirements.
- Assist you in understanding the food import codes and ensuring these are inserted in your import declaration.
- Advise you on document retention requirements.
It is important that you understand the requirements for the type of food product you are importing/exporting and that all necessary documentation is completed on time and provided to the necessary party.
Download BDO's SPS training brochure